A Brief History of Trelaske
The earliest records of Trelaske date back to 1619 when it was part of the Manor of Trelawne. It was a working farm and tenants occupied the farm up to around 1920.
In 1920 Trelaske Farm was put up for sale by the Trelawney Farm. The farm comprised of 145 acres with a house and farm buildings. The farmhouse was described as having two sitting rooms, kitchen, diary and three bedrooms. There was an earth closet and wood house outside. The farm buildings comprised of stabling for twelve, a six bay cow shed, numerous cow shippens, 2 x root houses, open bullock shed, straw house, 2 x wood house and piggeries.
The last tenant of Trelaske Was a Mr R G Pearce who did attempt to buy the farm outright but was outbid by a Mr Williams who paid the sum of £4275 for Trelaske Farm and unfortunately for Mr Pearce he had to leave the farm where he had lived all his life. However, Mr Pearce was able in the short term to live and rent one of Miss Lemon’s Cottages from Trelawne Manor that had at this point and like so many other country estates at the time began to break up into smaller parcels of land. A few years later Mr Pearce was able to buy what had been Home Farm at Trelawne. This meant he was able to stand on his land and look down at Trelaske, I wonder what he thought?
Sometime after 1920 the old farmhouse at Trelaske was pulled down and a new house built in what been a meadow above the old house. This is now the hotel and has been extended several times in the 80s and 90s, though it did begin life after a farmhouse a restaurant, then a bed & breakfast before it was a hotel.
The houses at the bottom of Trelaske lane are what were formally the Big Barn with its Round House and another barn converted in the 1970’s and 1990’s respectively by a local landowner.
Trelaske was once a small Hamlet which formed part of the eastern boundary of the parish of Pelynt. It was first recorded in the Doomsday Book where it was referred to as Trelosch. The name Trelaske is made up of the popular Cornish prefix Tre which means farm or homestead. Laske is more unclear but there are several referrals which indicates it means a place of burning possibly for the production of charcoal.